Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgot your password?
   Home   Help Advanced search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering What to Do About Dogs -- Move or Not Move?  (Read 18077 times)
Min

Email
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:50 pm »

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here and I basically registered to get the opinion of folks that have done this move or may at least be more knowledgeable of everything than I am.

I am preparing to travel to South Korea next year. I currently have two small dogs. One is slightly over 20lbs and is 5 years old and the other is about 14lbs and is 2 years old.

The 5 year old dog has a lot of stress and anxiety problems. Today he made himself quite ill with a stress-induced condition. Overall he is a very good traveller and tends to adjust well to new spaces. We moved three times in a short window of time and he had no issues once he was "home".

That being said, I am concerned about this big move. Even if the flight went well for him, if we live in the city I worry he might be absolutely terrified. He hates cars and street noises and sounds that are too loud. I am going to speak to his vet today about anything that might help.

My other consideration is rehoming him.

I want to make the best decision for the animals, even if it is very upsetting to me to potentially give up my dog that I've raised since he was 8 weeks old. There is also the matter of the 2 year old who is much better adjusted but they are close. I wonder if it would be exceptionally cruel to separate them even though they don't have separation anxiety if, say, one is away at the groomer and the other isn't. I could possibly bring her but I wonder if they would be quite upset for a bit over it once they realise the other isn't around anymore. So it also may be that I rehome them both.

There is also the idea of when I get to Korea and everything I will need to do and be doing actively. I am one person and I don't want to leave them alone all the time (even though they happily sleep in crates while I work an 8 hour day right now). I don't know how long I'd be away once I'm there and how much free time I'd have with them.

So to get to my point.. do you think it would be best to try and hope that the vet can help with the 5 year old's behaviour enough for him to travel and bring them both? Or even if I bring one (this raising the question of the amount of dog quality time I'd see when I am in Korea)?

Or should I accept things and start looking into rehoming them both?

I should point out that this isn't a matter of "well why did you bother getting animals if you weren't in it for the long haul". My life changed quite a lot last year and this move is part of a big change I needed to make. I 100% intended to bring them when I made this choice. It is only because of the 5 year old's health and mental health that I am second guessing bringing them both. The 2 year old was my mother's dog who I am taking care of after she passed away. Please don't think I don't care about these animals at all. I truly do, which is why I am here asking opinions.

What are your opinions for what would be best for the animals here? I am open to both sides and will take all into consideration.

Thank you very much for your time.
ExpatHelp
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:21:45 pm »

The choice is ultimately up to you. Here, however, is information on having pets in Korea.
First, bringing your dogs into the country. Best if you can avoid quarantine. See information on bringing pets into Korea here:https://www.korea4expats.com/article-bringing-pets-to-south-korea.html
Pet owners also have legal obligations. See here: https://www.korea4expats.com/article-rules-for-dog-owners.html
As for noise, etc. it will really depend on where you live. I have never found anywhere I've lived excessively noisy and I lived right in the heart of downtown Seoul. That said, my quiet may be your dog's noisy.
There are all kinds of services available - boarding, pet walkers, etc. - availble for pet owners in Korea these days, especially in large urban areas such as Seoul or Busan. Again depends on where you will be living. The size of your dogs is also a factor although less so now than a few years ago as pet ownership becomes more common in Korea.
Hope the above helps in your decision-making. Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: