Driving in School Zones - Traffic Safety Rules
On 25 March 2020, the Korean government implemented new regulations to make it safer for children in all school zones in the country. Mins-sik's Law was so-named to honour Kim Min-sik, a child who died in a traffic accident in a school zone in Asan, Chungnam on 11 September 2019.
Traffic safety rules to follow in school zones
1. Drive slowly under 30 km per hour since children can run out of nowhere.
2. Do not park or stop since the pedestrian or drive may not see each other.
3. Stop temporarily at crosswalks since children can come out only looking straight ahead.
4. Do not hit the brakes or depart suddenly.
5. Pay attention to any unexpected behavior by children.
Pedestrians and children:
1. Teach children traffic safety rules thoroughly.
2. Make sure to follow traffic signs.
3. Do not run but walk across crosswalks.
4. Look left and right before crossing, and raise your hand while crossing.
5. Do not use any electronic devices including smartphones when walking.
1. The installation of CCTVs is made obligatory in all school zones, and 1,500 CCTVs will be installed in 2020 and the number will increase to 8,800 in 2022.
2. Traffic safety supplies including traffic lights, safety signs (yellow carpet) for speeding and crosswalk safety, and speed bumps will be installed in school zones.
Penalty for driver:
1. For injury of a child, 1 to 15 years in prison or KRW 5 to 30 million in fines.
2. For death of a child, at least 3 years in prison or life in prison.
K4E Editor: Korea4Expats.com tries to be as complete and accurate as possible, so if you notice any omissions or errors in the information above, please let us know at email@example.com
Source: Korea Transportation Safety Authority (Blog)
Last Updated on 2020-04-20
|In the same header|
Schools Nursery to University
Dulwich College Seoul, Nursery to Year 13, Ages 3-18, Seocho-gu, Seoul
Web Design, Internet Related Services
Accounting, Tax Filing Services
TieTax, US Taxes and Financial Planning, Korea
Apple Tours and Travel Service, Yongsan-gu, Seoul
Dental Clinics incl. Dentists, Orthodontists
S-PLANT Dental Hospital, Prosthetic Dentistry-Orthodontics, Gangnam, Seoul
Doctors, Hospitals, Intl Clinics
Sarang Plus Joint and Spine Hospital, Seoul
Eye Care, glasses, testing, lasik surgery...
BGN Eye Clinic, Lasik-Lasek-Eye Surgery, Seocho-gu, Seoul
Shopping, Food, Clothing, New and Used Stuff, etc.
Goodwill Store Seoul - Used Items Donations and Purchases