Questions & AnswersCategory:
- Is it difficult to open a bank account in Korea?
- Do I need to have an alien registration card to open a bank account in Korea?
- Do I have access to my Korean bank account when I am outside the country?
- Can I cash a foreign cheque in Korea?
- How do Korean checks work?
- Are bank checks exactly like cash?
- Why does Korean money stop at 50,000 KW?
- I don't speak Korean. How can I use the ATM?
- Can I access my home country account from a Korean ATM?
- Is there a difference in the service charges applied to teller and ATM transactions?
- Can I have more than one bank account in Korea?
- Some ATMs say 'Cash' 'Check' 'Cash/Cheque'? What do these options mean?
- Why can't I use the ATMs at night?
- I've heard that there are childcare subsidies for working mothers? As a foreign worker, am I entitled to these?
- Our children are pre-school age. Is there anything for them to do in Seoul?
- I'm a foreigner working in Korea. Am I entitled to maternity leave?
- How much should I pay for a nanny or maid?
- What childcare options are available in Korea?
- Can I bring my mobile phone to Korea?
- Is it true that there will be on-line etiquette programs in Korea?
- I've heard that it can be difficult to get phone service in Korea if you're a foreigner. Is that true?
- Pre-paid cell phone cards are very costly. Why can't I get regular mobile service?
- Why do I have to go and re-register my cell phone every 3 months?
- I would like to switch phones. Will this cost me a lot?
- How can I forward calls from my landline to my cell phone?
Driving in Korea
- Can I use my driver's license in Korea?
- Are there any reasonably priced parking lots in the downtown (City Hall) area where one can occasionally park a car for the day?
- What is the minimum driving age in Korea?
- How can I find out where my car has been towed?
- Can I make a left turn on an amber/yellow light?
- On what side of the road do Koreans drive?
- I've heard about an alternate-day-driving program. What is that?
- Where can I get a Motorcycle License?
- How do I get rid of my car if it's too old to sell?
- How can I find out if there are any outstanding fines on my car?
- I bought a used motorcycle. Do I have register it? If yes, how?
- Is it legal to drive or park a motorcycle on the sidewalk?
- Are vehicle inspections also required by foreign car owners?
- Are foreign residents allowed to buy property in Korea?
- Is it possible to rent a post office box in Seoul?
- I understand that the post office supplies boxes for mailing stuff home?
- Why does my house have two different numbers?
- What's the purpose of the raised circles and bars on the floors of the subway stations and on sidewalks?
- Why do Koreans walk on the left (sometimes) and drive on the right?
- Are there rules about where one stands on an escalator?
- Why can't foreign residents order on-line even with their alien registration numbers?
- Why do we have to put the area code for a local number when dialing from a mobile phone?
- Why do the police drive with their lights flashing?
- What are digital, set or magic perms? And what's a danbaekjil pama?
- Why do we see so many Xmas trees still up in February?
- Can pets get H1N1 test/vaccine in Korea?
- When I’m throwing trash out, I was told to use a specific plastic bag. Where can I find them?
- What's the difference between the grey and black and orange taxies in Seoul?
- I don't always want to hail a taxi on the street. Can I call for one?
- How can I know which bus to take?
- Where can I get information on the subway system?
- Can you mail items from Korea using padded envelopes? If so, where can you get them?
- Why are there steps or arrows painted on the subway platforms and stairs.
- Why don't people pull over when they hear an ambulance siren?
- Why should I always get a taxi receipt?
- Why do I have to pay more if I get on a taxi late at night?
- I don't understand Korean. Can I use the QR codes at Seoul's bus stops?
- How do I know a taxi is a legal one and not a pirate?
- How do I get a refund on the balance remaining on my T-money card?
- How old do you have to be to buy cigarettes in Korea?
- I understand Koreans smoke a lot. Can we smoke everywhere?
- Why aren't garbage bags put in trash cans before they are put out on the street?
- Where can I find the postal code/zip code for addresses in Korea?
- What is this new address system we keep hearing about?
- Where can I get information on today's level of yellow sand?
- I've been hearing about 'yellow dust'. What is it?
- Where can I find a pediatrician?
- Why do people walk around wearing masks?
- I keep hearing about fan deaths. What is it?
- If I don't have Health Insurance, can I still get medical care?
- Where to find needles or syringes in Korea?
- Are there home care nurses available in Korea?
- How do I pay my utility bills?
- I know that I have to file an annual tax return in Korea, but how can I do it when I don't speak or read Korean?
- Why is it when I click on to the English functions of the ATM, there's often a step that's in Korea only
- Why can't I use my Korean ATM card to access my account from outside Korea?
- Are Expat seniors (65+) eligible for same discounts as Koreans?
- Are there any banks that operate for 24 hours?
- I understand that Korea is very safe but is it safe to use the ATMs at night?
- I've heard that there are attack drills in Seoul where traffic stops and everyone goes indoors. Is this true?
- Is Korea a dangerous place to live?
- How can I find the police station nearest to my home?
- What can I do if forget something in a taxi?
- What are the stats regarding sex crimes and foreign nationals in Korea?
- We keep hearing and reading about foreign teachers arrested for drug use. What are the stats?
- Is lactose-free milk available in Seoul?
- Can I use my COSTCO membership card in Korea?
- How hard should we haggle/bargain when shopping in Korea?
- I need to have the tank on my BBQ grill re-filled. How can I do that?
- Is there any place where I can donate stuff we don't wear, but that is in good condition?
- Can non-Koreans shop at second-hand stores?
- Is it possible to get Xmas trees in Seoul?
- Where can I buy baby products?
- What are the duties or taxes on international catalog orders delivered in Korea?
- Where can we find good deals on electronic products in Seoul?
- Are there Dollar stores in Korea?
- How to access home country iTunes account in English from Korea?
- Can we buy firewood in Korea?
Thing to Do
Travel in Korea
Schools Nursery to University
ECLC International Kindergarten, Hannam-dong, Seoul
Eye Care, glasses, testing, lasik surgery...
Kong Eye Clinic, Sejong, near Seoul City Hall
Accounting/Tax Filing Services
Taxes For Expats - Online Tax Accountants for US, UK, Canada Taxes
Alternative Health Care ex. Anti-Aging, Chiropractor, etc.
New York Wholistic Care, Chiropractor in Itaewon, Seoul
Schools Nursery to University
Asia Pacific International School, Pre K-12 English School, Seoul
Doctors, Hospitals, Intl Clinics
Medi Flower - English-speaking OB/GYN, Seocho, Seoul
Doctors, Hospitals, Intl Clinics
Grand Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery-Dermatology, Apgujeong, Seoul
Banks and Finance Services
Shinhan Bank - Banking for Expats, Jung-gu, Seoul
Last Posts On Forums
Dollar | Won | Euro
I want to convert ...